Sunday, January 28, 2007

More frames



Been doing a lot but haven't updated this blog recently. After I noticed that I had drawn out some frames incorrectly, I had to redraw and recut them. No big loss, I can use the old frames for other parts.
The jig I made for a circular saw works great for cutting the bottoms of the frames out. It was difficult doing them on the table saw. being able to clamp down a jig on the line and then guide the saw along for a perfect cut is so much easier. I've also realized that its much easier to cut the bottoms of the frames (at least the ones with minimal bevel) 90 degrees, and then add the bevel by hand. Also cut 3" lengths of the stock for the deck and bottom stringers and the keel to check their fit as i cut the notches out with a jigsaw. For the limber holes, I was using a 1 1/2" hole saw to have a quarter circle on the outside of the bottom stringers. I eventually just cut the holes out with the jigsaw. To bevel the bottoms of the notches for the stringers and the keel I've been using a microplane- kind of like a cheese grater for wood. it works great.

No comments: