Sunday, October 29, 2006

Removing the stem from the mold


My idea of using wax to prevent the stem from bonding to the form did not work out at all. I took the clamps off to have one solid piece. After much work with a mallet and chisel, I managed to separate most of the plywood form from the stem. More work with a saw and then with a plane left stem void of plywood. System Three epoxy, before becoming rock hard, has a stage where it is still somewhat soft and easy to remove with sharp tools. It is much easier to plane in this stage. After another day or two, it reaches its final hardness and becomes difficult to work with. Other than gluing it to the form, the 15 1/4" laminations worked well. Since I had to get more wood I got the stem sanded down to the right thickness by the milling shop- much easier to have them do it with a big drum sander than me with a RO sander. Turned out very well- now just have to figure out how to cut the bevel on it.

No comments: